Pop Awesomeness!!!!

Memory, 2006 Photoshop 30" x 40" I'm becoming a huge fan of creating Photoshop images, especially with the upcoming Mise-en-Scènic Show which is opening on Friday night. It features the three 26"x36" Soap Opera Digest covers. It;s so strange that my instructor tells me that that is the best work that he has ever seen me done. I'm still a painter at heart, even though this upcoming show and my senior thesis exhibit have no paintings on view at all. :( Memory was one of the first from my freshman year at art school. It was fun combining a range of different pictures from family to friends to celebrities to art work. This is more of a biography of growth than anything else and of course how pop culture has influenced my life. In the left segment features things like cartoons, a McDonald's Happymeal (a rare, but happily accepted treat), an old family picture, and me in this horrid 4th grade ensemble (thanks Mom). The center is how art was inspiring me in high school, how escapist it was. Most of the time my drawings and paintings were celebrity portraits. Halle Berry had the hair style that I loved and emulated. She was unbelievably gorgeous, such an idol to me even though I knew I could never be that glamorous, that kind of beauty that stood upon a pedestal. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was my favorite show because it focused on real life issues of an outsider and her group of unusual friends. People thought it was a joke of a show, but I saw depth in the writing, the acting, and the overall message of what the show was illustrating. It captured my essence of high school life perfectly. So I was creating a lot of Buffy inspired pieces as well as carrying around the Buffy obsession with me, like literally. In high school for comforting purposes, I always carried around a hot pink box of Buffy mementos like lollipops (nasty, but the wrappers were cool!), trading cards, found Internet images, comic books (that of which I am still collecting!), and other things. The third and final side of Memory is about how my art has evolved. The work starts to become less about celebrity, but about values. I began drawing on personal life experiences and dreams of visiting Africa. This also showcases this new relationship between me and a man, which is quite fascinating. There is a humorous side that is shown, but it is unique and altogether a refreshing experience to understand love, to comprehend differences, and to make sacrifices in order for it to work successfully.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art News To Muse

Suppport Handmade At Local And Fellow Etsy Shops

A Tale Of Two Libras: A Birthday Card Post To Bestie